Do smoothies affect your digestion?
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Visit the Awesome to be Rawsome blog
Return to the Raw Food Lifestyle homepage

News: Welcome to the new server!
News: Visit my blog at www.reallyrawfood.com!
Discover The Raw Secrets, attain Perfect Health, and
feel better (based on Dr. Graham's 80/10/10 Diet)
Click to Learn More
Pages: [1] 2   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Do smoothies affect your digestion?  (Read 4556 times)
deb
« on: February 05, 2007, 07:21:48 AM »

I don't want to gross everyone out but I would really like to know if smoothies have an effect on your digestion?  I have digestion problems anyway and they have been worse recently but I don't know whether to blame the smoothies or not.  What I am trying to say is if smoothie consumers generally find they have looser stools then that's fine but if it's a problem specific to me I might have to re-think my smoothie consumption. I await your comments!
Sponsor
damomma94
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2007, 07:52:27 PM »

I usually have a smoothie for breakfast.  It mostly fruit like banana, berries maybe paypaya or mango.  I don't have the issue you describe.  Could your smoothie be to cold?  Maybe that upset your belly?
forgingi
Prince/Princess Raw Royal

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2007, 08:49:22 PM »

Deb, how big are your smoothies and how many different kinds of fruit/greens are in them?  Maybe try a small one of just bananas and greens and see how that goes?

Virginia

Sponsor

Tommie
Onward through the fog!
Forum Queen Mother
King/Queen of Raw

Blessings on everyone!

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2007, 09:14:02 PM »

I don't want to gross everyone out but I would really like to know if smoothies have an effect on your digestion?  I have digestion problems anyway and they have been worse recently but I don't know whether to blame the smoothies or not.  What I am trying to say is if smoothie consumers generally find they have looser stools then that's fine but if it's a problem specific to me I might have to re-think my smoothie consumption. I await your comments!
It may be your digestive system hasn't adapted to so much fiber, too. It took a good year for my stools to get back to a more normal consistency.

Tommie
AWESOME TO BE RAWSOME

Make way for the Queen! We have already won!!!

Sponsor
deb
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2007, 02:51:10 AM »

Thanks for the info and suggestions guys.  Because I can't digest raw vegetables, and because Doug Graham recommends so much lettuce (according to his daily menus at least 1lb a day, often 1 1/2 lb plus other greens) I have two enormous bowls of green "soup" per day.  It's a lot.  And my body is certainly not used to so much fibre because previously I was only juicing the greens.   Interesting that it took Tommie a year for her digestion to adjust.  That encourages me.  So I'll keep on with the smoothies but maybe lessen the number of things per smoothie as Viriginia suggests.  Thanks a lot!
Sponsor

Tommie
Onward through the fog!
Forum Queen Mother
King/Queen of Raw

Blessings on everyone!

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2007, 09:54:28 PM »

I don't know if it was the power of suggestion or what but I spent a lot of time in the bathroom today. It wasn't loose, either. Bet I lost five pounds.  Shocked

Tommie
AWESOME TO BE RAWSOME

Sponsor
forgingi

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2007, 10:04:51 PM »

Smooth move, eh?   

Virginia

Tommie
Onward through the fog!
Forum Queen Mother
King/Queen of Raw

Blessings on everyone!

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2007, 10:09:12 PM »

Definitely.

Tommie
AWESOME TO BE RAWSOME

Sponsor
sandy
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2007, 11:57:10 PM »

you gals are funny  Grin
Sponsor

frk
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2007, 09:18:48 PM »

Hey everyone,

Just found this forum and am happy to be here!  Wanted to chime in with the digestion and green smoothie topic.  I have been drinking green smoothies for a few months now and my digestion is totally messed up!  I mean...  slower than slow.  I'm at a standstill here and considering a Master Cleanse.  I am totally hooked on the taste and how I feel when I drink my smoothies.  And, they help significantly with staying raw and controlling cravings.  But, I'm pretty convinced it's the smoothies that are stopping the process here.   Any thoughts from all you experienced smoothie drinkers?  I've stopped the kale and am only using tender greens and still...   nothing.  Ugh!!!   Help!!   Should I stop the smoothies??  Thanks for any and all replies.
forgingi

« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2007, 09:25:16 PM »

Hello and welcome frk!

A friend of mine said she has the same problem with green smoothies.  Do you use a lot of bananas in the smoothies?  I find too many bananas alone make me constipated.  maybe cut  down a bit on the bananas and use other fruit in the smoothies as well - fruit that you know works for you!

Virginia

rawberry
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2007, 09:36:31 PM »

glad you found us frk.  try juicing some apples and using the juice in your smoothies.
RawVegHead
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2007, 08:00:24 AM »

One tip I read is to drink (or put in your smoothies) young coconut water.  It gets things moving along, and it tastes good.  If you don't want to mess with the young coconut (I have to have my husband whack them with a machete!) you can buy raw young coconut water in packages.  It does work, and is good for you.
Sponsor

damomma94
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2007, 08:07:05 AM »

I've tried the coconut water in the aspec(sp) packages.  It's pretty good stuff and it is easy to travel with.  I'm going to FL for a while in late April and plan to bring a bunch along with me.
Valerie
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2007, 08:20:38 AM »

Hi frk, it’s nice to meet you.  I’ve eaten nothing but green smoothies for the last three weeks and my digestion is great.  I have gotten relief from a long standing IBS (chronic diarrhea problem).  I did have two days without a BM, but I’m only consuming 600-800 calories per day and I wasn’t uncomfortable so I don’t consider that a problem.  Green smoothies rock in my book.
VW
Sponsor
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to:  

Support this site: Donate.